Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Lost and Found..then lost and found again, then lost one more time and found one more time, then lost for longer but still found.


First, I couldn't think of an appropriate entertaining picture for this post so I just posted a random pic of something that made me laugh earlier today.

Now on to the topic at hand.

For whatever reason I seem to have a problem with keeping hold of two of my most important items, my wallet and cell phone which is the bad news. The good news is that I live in Japan which apparently means I'll get it back soon. Lets take a look at each situation shall we?

1. City: Tokushima
Item: Cell phone
This was the first time I lost my phone. It was right after buying more minutes for it (its prepaid) and I was preparing to meet a friend at a party. At some point while riding my bike to the party it fell out of my pocket. I ended up late to the party searching for it and never found it that night. In Japan there are a lot of randomly placed (random from my view) police boxes where you can go to talk to a police man for a variety of problems including lost objects. (Which in Japan is probably the most often problem they hear about given crime is pretty dang low.)
At the police box they give you some papers to fill out and ask you somethings about the item in questioned. After they take some contact information from you and if someone turns it into any of the other police boxes in the city they will know and contact you to come get it. We'll someone found my phone and turned it in and it all took about 3 days.

2. City:Okayama
Item: Wallet

While hanging in the park with my friend my wallet somehow got away from me. After realizing this an hour or so late I went back to the park to find it was not there. Losing my cell phone is a problem, but losing my wallet is a nightmare. I happen to have a lot of ID cards that I need to be in Japan as well as about $300 in yen. Once again I went to the police station and filed a report. The next day my wallet was turned in with EVERYTHING still inside.

3. City:Okayama
Item: Wallet

Yes it was the wallet again. It happen to fall out of my pocket while I was riding to work. (Its a little big and doesn't fit so snug in my pocket. I need to look into another one perhaps, but it has sentimental value.) I realized it was missing about an hour later and went to the police station to file yet another report. Turns out it had already been turned in and to that very police station so I was able to easily just pick it up.

4. City: Okayama
Item: Cell Phone

Obviously jealous of the wallet it was time for my cell phone to make another disaperance. This time I set it down while trying clothes on at a store and just left it there. After leaving the store I didn't realize it was gone until a good 3 hours later. I went back to the store but it wasn't there so I filed a report. This time it took a bit longer than usualy. It was about 4-5 days before I was contacted that it had been returned. Someone indeed found it in the clothing shop and turned it in.

Now if I had lost any of these items (especially a wallet with $300 in it) in America I wouldn't even consider that I could get it back. The moment I lost it I would get a good cry out and move on with my life, but here in Japan there is a good change someone kind person will actually pick it up and take the time to take it to the police so that it can be returned to you. For me it has happened four times. I can't guarantee this will always happen and perhaps a bigger city like Tokyo or Osaka wouldn't have the same results but from what I have experienced and heard from others if you are gonna lose something, Japan is the best place to do it. God Bless Japan, and thank God for his mercy.

Whether it gets returned or not I think I'll try to be a little more careful in the future. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment