Saturday, April 16, 2011

Sakura Viewing In Gifu (2011)

I've only been in Gifu for about 2 1/2 weeks and arrived just at the Sakura viewing season or "Hanami" was beginning but luckily I quickly met a few people who invite me to join them this year. The last time I participated in Hanami I was living in Tokushima. Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of friends at that time either as I always seem to just be settling in somewhere as this event is beginning. I'm still dreaming of that time that I get to take part in the big Hanami events like you see elsewhere on the Internet with lots of people and many good friends. Regardless I was blessed to be able to take part this year with anyone. We went to Gifu park but as it was on a a weekday and near the evening so there weren't many other people there at all. It was still beautiful though. Here's hoping next year will be my dream one.

I also heard due to the recent earthquake on March 11th 2011 that lesser people this year were taking part in this event as it usually involves a lot of loud noise and drinking and they feel given what has been going on in other parts of Japan lately it would be disrespectful to act in this matter. If you ask me, being loud and drunk is always annoying but to each his own.  We'll the Sakura does signal Spring and new life so I like to view  them with the idea of new life as everyone in Japan works to get through these dark times and find the light at the end of the tunnel. Yeah, deep I know.

Entering the park.

My Sakura viewing company.

As you can see the Sakura tree is quite pretty.


Many Sakura petals swirling in the pond.


Hazkui-chan and I

No comments:

Post a Comment