Sunday, July 19, 2009

Korean commercials are fun, but I'm slightly confused...

Let me explain this first. One day I was thinking about Japanese commercials and how wacky many of them can be so then I began to wonder if Korean commercials were just as strange to foreigners. I talked to Kangmul about this since she's from Seoul and we began to look up lots of Korean commercials on youtube. While I did find some that were completely wacky,(Like the ice cream one I posted two blogs below.) I also found many that seemed to have a distinct theme and layout. Here are a few things I learned about most of the Korean commercials I watched .

1. Features cute girl doing cute things into the camera
2. Features classic American song
3. Cutesy montage shots
4. Ends with quick phrase or a word
5. Product being advertise isn't clear until the very end
6. English voice over
7. After watching the commercial you cant help but to think "What the heck did I just watch?"

Taking these few rules into account I set out to make my very own Korean commercial. Can I match the oddness of native commercials? Will you be slightly confused? Here's hoping!

Korean Froyo Commercial
Starring : Kangmul Lee
Writer/Director/Editor: Me

No comments:

Post a Comment