Thursday, July 9, 2009

My Top 5 Japanese Movies (As of now)


It's no secret I am a fan of movies. (I blew tons of money attending a school to learn about making them.) What may be a unknown is how much I love Asian movies and within this category Japanese and Korean ones. So here is my top 5 Japanese movies. You will notice that there is not any Akira Kurosawa films on this list. Yes I am aware that he made some good movies, yes I know he has done a lot for film in general, but you also wouldn't find Citizen Kane even on my top 100 American movies. I am looking for stories that entertained me the most whatever the genre and these are the best of those movies at this time. I am also aware of Takashi Miike and frankly, his movies scare me. So without further ado....

#5
"Dare mo Shiranai" (Nobody Knows)
Let me start by saying I am not afraid to admit that I have cried watching many movies. In fact "My Girl" still gets me every time. "Dare mo Shiranai" is based from a true story and features characters you really care about, and that is why it also breaks you emotionally down later in the film. In fact during my first viewing I had to fast forward through some parts cause my heart just couldn't take it. Its a great story about siblings and abandonment and I suggest you watch it, but remember guys, if you have a problem crying in front of your lady friend watch it alone.


#4
"Hula Garu" (Hula Girls)
Also based on a true story this one is a lot more funny and cheerful. It's a story about a group of girls in a small town who try to save their town by learning the Hawaiian practice of Hula dancing and drawing tourist to their show. Led by an at first reluctant teacher from Tokyo the girls learn about culture, friendship, and pride. It also stars actress YĆ» Aoi which I just find sooo cute.


#3
Kikujiro
This is a charming story about a young boy who wants to journey to see his mother. Aided by a small town thug played wonderfully by Takeshi Kitano they embark on a quest that leads them into many different situations, some funny, some exciting, and others sad. The movie is also known for its soundtrack which includes the song "Summer". This song alone is definately part of what makes this movie so great. Do yourself a favor, watch the movie, and find that song. (It is the one playing in the trailer.)


#2
"Linda Linda Linda"
This was only the second Japanese movie I had ever saw in the theatre back when I was living in San Fran. (The first was "Densha No Otoko" Train Man) I knew pretty much nothing about it but was interested in seeing a Japanese film on the big screen. Luckily I lucked out and got an awesome movie. The movie is about an all girls band who struggle to get an act together for the upcoming talent show. Its a simple premise but it plays out great with sweet and admirable characters. Music also plays a big part on the movie and songs like "Linda Linda Linda" by "The Blue Hearts" repeat over and over in your head after viewing. The movie stars four young actresses one of which happens to be Korean actress Bae Doona (The Host) who I adore. It may seem like a girly flick, but if that means I am wrong for watching, I dont wanna be right. >_<

#1
Always: Sanchome no Yuhi (Sunset on Third Street) & Always: Sanchome no Yuhi 2
I love this movie! Recommended to me by my Japanese fan "Always" is pure gold. There are two movies, the second one continuing right where the first left off. While it works great as two movies, the first movie is still able to stand strong by itself. The movie chronicles the life of the residents of a town in Tokyo 1958 (As the Tokyo tower was being constructed). The acting is superb by all involved and the set design is masterfully done. Each and every character is made to be cared about and it is the perfect mix of laughter,joy, and tears. Amongst the wonderful actors is Hiromi Ishizaki who you may know from "The Last Samurai" but Hidetaka Yoshioka steals the show with his portrayal of an down and out of luck author who suddenly inherits a child. There aren't enough good things that I can say about this movie. Please find it, and watch it! (Unfortunately I could not find an English trailer for the first movie so the trailer below is for Always 2.)



Honorable mentions
- "Hachimitsu To Cloba" (Honey and Clover)
- "Ocha no Aji" (Taste of Tea)
- "Densha no Otoko" (Train man)
- "The Uchoten Hotel"




If I can find the English trailers stay tuned for my top 5 Korean movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment