Saturday, June 20, 2009

Don't Laugh!


What do you do when you are working at an English school during the TOEFL exam and after 2 hours of setting up and checking people in you have to sit for 4-5 hours while they test.....Blog of course!


This is old news for me, but a new show on MTV recently reminded me of this original gem. I'll get back to the MTV version later.


For those of you who have not heard of this, let me introduce you to your new favorite show. "Gaki no Tsukai". It's a Japanese show in which some well known Japanese comedians participate in various scenarios where they aren't suppose to laugh. If they do laugh the are punished in Japanese fashion which means smacked on the butt with a stick by someone in disguise...intrigued yet?


(This is the one with the punishments. I have seen this literally about 10 times and I can still not stop from laughing. The counting part is pure win.)


(Next up is "Silent Library" The guys gather in a library and pull cards to see who will be subjected to some sort of outrageous punishment while the others look on and try not to laugh. Let me just say right now, whoever created the slapping machine deserves a Noble Peace Prize.)


Now on to MTV. They recently released their on version of "Silent Library" and as you expect from an American remake, especially one stemming from MTV, the magic of the original has been completely sucked out of it. Although they did make it a bit more game showish with contestants winning money. Picture the original with a an extreme scripted feel and the rejects from Room Raiders. Aaah heck, I didn't wanna promote it, but I'll link you a little sample.

If you saw the original first, you'll hate me after that last one.




I've also included some wiki action on the Japanese version
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaki_no_tsukai

P.s. There are many more episodes of the original on youtube so look em up. They are hilarious despite the fact you may not know Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment