Friday, July 1, 2011

Takayama in a day

Last week I was blessed with a 5 day vacation due to the students at my school taking final exams. On one of those days I managed to get out and do a little traveling. I went to the small yet scenic city of Takayama about 2 hours and 45 minutes away from Gifu city by bus for 4,500yen round-trip. It had been awhile since I took a trip within Japan and I've been needing to go out and rekindle my awe and excitement with Japan. This trip was helpful.
Some good old fashion rickshaw action going on the bridge.

Shiroyama park
I've always been a fan of these orange gate like structures called "torii".
I like bridges in Japan.
A large torii above the river.
A closeup of the torri along with a dog trying to get his 10 seconds of fame on the web.
Hida Kokubunji Temple.
700yen will get you into the "Hida Folk Village". A lot of cool thatched houses, some imported from other places in Japan.
An old fashion home.
The bamboo shoot fills up with water until it becomes too heavy and slams down making a loud noise that was meant to scare away wild boards that would eat the crops.
Eco friendly home.
There were many students visiting on this day.
                          Here is a little video of me feeding some really hungry fish in Takayama Hida Folk Village.


I've heard the winter is even better for visiting Takayama. Perhaps I will see for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment