Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I want to be a Korean Pop Singer!

Actually not really but I do enjoy K-POP (Korean pop) songs and recently my Japanese friend came up to me and asked me if I would like to sing as a duet with her in a huge K-POP contest here in Japan. The contest has been held every year since 2008. It is open to all non native Korean speakers who either wanna do a dance performance, a ballad, or a traditional style of Korean song. Now while I do enjoy singing in the privacy of my own home or at Karaoke I would usually never even think to try and participate in a singing contest, but when she asked me the first thing that came to my mind was "How awesome would it be to tell people I was in a Korean singing contest in Japan?!" Especially awesome if we make it to the finals which take place in Tokyo. Luckily I've studied Korean before this so I have some knowledge of pronunciation and my previous studies makes remembering the lyrics more easy. My partner Sayaka speaks good Korean and also has a good singing voice so perhaps we will have a chance. If nothing else I'm almost positive an African American has never entered this contest. So we got that going for us.

Here is the Japanese website.


Here is a decent translated version of the website.


So the song we chose is called "잔소리" which translates roughly to "Nagging" by Korean pop singer IU featuring  Seulong from 2AM. It's a really cute and catchy song and I had never heard about it until deciding to join this contest but I'm in love with it now.

So our first step is to send in our audition recording by July 17th. If we pass that stage we will go on to the 2nd stage which is a performance in Nagoya and if we are blessed enough to pass that stage we will make it to the final stage in Tokyo. Wish us luck!

You can see previous competition performances HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment