Sunday, February 13, 2011

V-DAY

 
 
It is officially that time again. Here in Japan Valentines Day is as commercial as it is in the U.S. It's still all about stuff animals, chocolate, and hearts. It's about expressing your feelings to the person you like/love. It's about taking everything cute and making it about %50 more cuter. The big difference here in Japan is that Valentines Day is a time for the female to show her affection to the male by presenting him with gifts. One of the most popular gifts to give is chocolates and this comes in three categories.
 
1. Giri Chocolate (obligatory chocolate) These chocolates are given by females to male superiors at work as well as her other male co-workers. Its obligatory so there isn't any hidden meaning behind it besides the fact that she is a female and the receiver is a male.
 
2.Honmei Chocolate (serious chocolate) This is the chocolate a female gives to a male that she is interested in. Usually his acceptance of it means he also has feelings for her. From there the rest is history. This is probably considered the most important of chocolates as there is a deep meaning behind the distributing of it. It is the most expensive.
 
3.Tomo Chocolate (friend chocolate) This chocolate is given to the females other female friends. The price range for this type of chocolate is usually medium.

If the female is really in the mood she may even make the chocolate herself. I have a few Jr.High students who told me they are making chocolates and other sweets to offer to the boy they like. I know you may be thinking "What about the girls? What do they get?" We'll in 1980 the holiday known as "White Day" was created. On White Day the males are given a chance to reciprocate their feelings by giving back to the women who gave to them. White Day is exactly one month after Valentines Day on March 14th. If you are feeling like one group has still been left out I'd suggest going to Korea where they actually have a  Black Day. On this day singles get together and eat a special noodle. Now that's a holiday I can get behind.

I personally haven't had a lot of experience celebrating Valentines Day unfortunately. I can only remember one time in which I gave something to someone I had real feelings for and also received something from someone who had feelings for me. Not long after that she became my girlfriend and not long after that she became my ex-girlfriend. Such is life. Anyway I''m not expecting much to happen this Valentines Day but I wish everyone who has a special someone a great day with each other. Cherish your love one. In closing I leave you with a picture I made a few years back that pretty much describes my Valentines Day experience and lack of.
 











No comments:

Post a Comment