Monday, January 10, 2011

The Cannabis Craze

So I was sitting at my desk in the teachers room my first day back after vacation when I heard some fellow female teachers raving about another female teacher's blanket. (Many teachers use a small blanket for their legs in the winter.)I look over my shoulder to see what the fuss is about and one of the teachers is holding up a blanket with a huge cannabis leaf on it.
(Cannabis leaf)

And this isn't the first time I've witnessed something like this. Often you can see products in stores with this symbol and even Jr.High school kids walking around with clothing that has this symbol and my only question is, do the Japanese know what this leaf is? Ask anyone in America and as soon as they see that picture they will tell you its a Cannabis leaf also known as Marijuana which is technically a drug.


What is even stranger is that Marijuana is considered even more as a bad thing in Japan than say somewhere like America. In Japan Marijuana is classified the same as cocaine and punishment for using Marijuana is severe and yet so many people are walking around with huge Marijuana leaves on their clothes or accessories. I've heard some people say that the Japanese think that the leaf looks similar to the Japanese momoji leaf and that is why they like it or that they relate it to Reggae culture and that is why so many young people adorn it. I just wonder if anyone knows the actual meaning? Maybe in Japanese culture it doesn't have the same connotation but for me its strange.
(Momoji leaf)





This also awesome reminds me of all the Jr.High school girls who have the playboy bunny on their socks and bags. Do they know?
(Awkward)

No comments:

Post a Comment