Sunday, February 19, 2012

Trip to Nara

These days when I travel around Japan it's usually to a place I've already been before. I like meeting up with friends that live in these places and truthfully I've been to a lot of cities now and aren't that many left that I'm interested in going to at the moment. There were three left, Hokkaido, Okinawa, and Nara and I recently scratched Nara off of the list. A friend and I wanted to do some traveling so we decided to take a day trip. From Gifu you can get to the city of Nara in a little over 3 hours by taking a from Nagoya (the nearby big city) directly to Nara or taking a bus from Gifu to Kyoto and then a train from Kyoto to Nara.
Arrived at Nara station with my friend Narae

There are a few things that I knew Nara was famous for before going and on the top of my list were actually deer. Nara could easily be nicknamed "The City Of Deer". In the heavy tourist areas there are literally tons of deer freely walking around harassing people for snacks which can be bought for feeding them for 150yen. I didn't run into any violent deer but they do get pushy when it comes to getting your food and I would suggest keeping an eye out on your bags.


Narae being surrounded for her snacks which she quickly gave up.
Close up

Deer everywhere!
They've caught on to the fact that something tasty is in the bag.

Whenever you go anywhere in Japan it's always recommended to try out the local famous food or snacks. I spent 2000yen on my lunch but it was good.

View from the restaurant window. A lovely day for a trip.

The dinner consisted of various tempuras, Nara's specialty persimmon wrapped sushi and udon.

kaki no hazushi  This persimmon wrapped sushi is famous in Nara.    




  



Besides deer and food Nara is also famous for its nice nature, temples and one large Buddha. It's easy just enjoying a walk and getting lost in the little nooks and crannies. I'd suggest exploring over a set path if you have the time.

Large guardian statue.

Todaiji temple. Home one of Nara's most famous things. A very large Buddha statue.

Nara is a place of nice look scenes like this. I'd love to see it in the Spring when the plants are a bit more lively.




The Far East






I leave you with a video a deer greeting me in the most Japanese way possible.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you took a LOT of great pictures! Very awesome :) I want to feed those deer too! You can probably scratch Okinawa off your list if you want to try coming here this summer...? (cause I might be here). Also, the Bible College sometimes goes to Hokkaido.. if they plan another trip, I'll let you know ね。

    ReplyDelete